Friday, April 07, 2006

Finding the time for quiet time

Something that I have really been struggling with is finding the time to just be quiet and be in God's presence. To just sit at the feet of the Lord and learn what He would have for me. It seems that there is always something begging for my attention and my energies (which are limited anyway) and we all know how many things there are these days that we are supposed to be DOING. I struggle constantly with the question 'is this what people want me to do, what I want me to do or what the Lord wants me to do?'. For most of the people I know life has just become far too complicated and busy and leaves us feeling drained and out of sorts and out of step with what the Lord has for us. I don't want to give the Lord the 'leftovers' of my day, I want my quiet time with him to be time that my mind is alert and ready to draw from His well. I don't want to come to him only when I'm panting with exhaustion and ready to fall asleep as soon I begin to pray......the problem is that I feel that way most of the time some days. So I am beginning a new quest....I need to simplify my life.

A. W. Tozer said "We christians must simplify our lives or lose untold treasures on earth and in eternity. Modern civilization is so complex as to make the devotional life all but impossible. The need for solitude and quietness was never greater than it is today."

I am so guilty of getting caught up with what is going on around me that I neglect to create that time of simply sitting at His feet. It's past time to remedy that and today I begin making it more of a priority than ever before.

No comments: