Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Are ya thirsty?

I always read alot and usually I'm juggling 3 or 4 different books, at least two magazines and who knows how many different things I'm into on the web at one time....not counting my bible and the two or three different devotionals and at least two different "studies". Occasionally though I run into a topic that I just kind of get stuck in for a time and then everything else goes on hold for awhile (except the bible, devotions and studies). This time the topic I've gotten stuck on is something called the Water Cure.

I first heard about it from a lady friend who has been dealing with some fairly serious health issues for several years. Karen has an autoimmune disorder similar to the NCS that I struggle with but with some much more severe symptoms. She also has skin issues related to the disorder, stomach troubles from all the medications, arthritis, muscle spasms and lots of other things but I'm sure you get the idea by now. Well, since starting the water cure 8 weeks ago Karen says that she has lost 35 pounds (and other than adding her water she hasn't changed her diet at all!) and has been able to completely stop taking several of the medications that she was on. She says that she feels better than she has in years and from the pictures that she sent me I can tell you that she looks like she has been off to some fancy spa for the last 6 weeks and had some serious cosmetic surgery (she is terrified of medical procedures though and hasn't had any surgeries).

Well, since someone I know so well has had such wonderful success with this my curiosity was peaked....so I did some reading, and more reading and then asked some questions on a few different message boards that I'm on. It seems that I have been really missing out on one of the greatest, cheapest and easiest ways to improve my health. With the NCS I'm supposed to drink 2 quarts of gatorade a day...but I really can't stand the overly sugary salty flavor anymore, I mean come on if you had to drink that much of that junk for 3 years you'd be sick of it too. Usually I don't drink any water at all...the total lack of flavor causes me to choke for some reason, but I drink anywhere from 1 to 3 pots of coffee per day and then as much tea (sweetened) as I want. Occasionally I will drink juice or milk but rarely. Needless to say I'm most likely chronically dehydrated. As I read about this "water cure" though I became fascinated with all that the water and minerals can take care of for us if we keep replenishing the supply.

I think I'm gonna give it a shot, it's so simple I know I can't mess it up and it's free so I really don't have an excuse not to. Basically all you do is drink 1/2 of your body weight in ounces of water every day but you add 1/4 teaspoon of natural sea salt to the water and make sure that you get plenty of minerals to keep your bodies electolytes in balance.

Here's the recipe:
Drink 1/2 your body weight of water in ounces, daily. Example 180 lb = 90 oz. of water daily. Divide that into 8 or 10 oz. glasses and that's how many glasses you will need to drink, daily. Use 1/4 tsp. of salt for every quart of water you drink. Use salt liberally with food. As long as you drink the water, you can use the salt. Avoid caffeinated or alcoholic drinks. These are diuretics and will dehydrate you. Every 6 oz. of caffeine or alcohol requires an additional 10 to 12 oz. of water to re-hydrate you.

P.S. (USE Clean Water, Use non-refined, ocean salt ONLY )

Here's one place to read more about it

This is "the" water cure website. Dr. B has written a series of books about water and it's ability to help our bodies heal themselves. There is lots of great information on the site.

Here is another great site. If you only read one I guess I would recommend this one. It asks for a password but I just clicked cancel and have had no trouble accessing the articles on the site. I like it because it has lots of specific information about different illnesses and how the water cure can help them.

There are tons of other sites full of information but after these three it is mostly repetitive and quickly gets boring. I'm sure that you can find lots of other information in google land if you want. If nothing else I'm definitely convinced that I HAVE TO drink more water!! So far today I've got 2/3 of my water down and it wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it would be. I'll be sure to let you know how I do with it. Happy sloshing!

No comments: