Thursday, April 20, 2006

Cleaning out the peanut butter jar

Oh this was just too good not to share. Ya'll know what a penny pincher I am and how I just hate to waste anything at all EVER. And ya'll know how my favorite saying (that didn't come straight from the heart of God to the hearts of men) is "use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without". Right? Well this is a real keeper of an idea for a penny pincher like me.

You know how you never can get the last little bit out of the peanut butter jar? I've tried spatulas and microwaving and even fingers (that was an experiment in how long can you take to clean your hands...sheesh) and still ended up unsatisfied that I was getting every last drop of the peanut butter out of there. I'll confess that I even had several 'empty' jars in the cabinet waiting for me to find that perfect way to get the food out of there to be put to good use. Well, yesterday for lunch I was really craving this asian style chicken salad that I had once a long time ago and that got my mind to working on getting that peanut butter out of there.

I wandered into the kitchen and got the leftover chicken out of the fridge and cut it up tiny, then got the leftover spaghetti noodles out and sat them in a big bowl and threw the chicken pieces in on top and cut up some green onion bits that were needing to be used before they went to the compost pile instead. Then I grabbed up one of the not quite completely empty to the satisfaction of the household tightwad peanut butter jars and put in about 1/4 cup of soy sauce, 1/4 cup of water and a couple of teaspoons of sugar.....then I shook that jar for all I was worth determined to get every single speck of peanut butter out of it this time. I poured my 'dressing' on top of the noodles and stuff and nuked it for a minute.....TAAA DAAAA. It was so yummy and quick and now I can get all of my peanut butter out of the jar!!!!

Hmmm, wonder what's for lunch today?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great idea--sounds yummy too! I'll have to try it--the recipe,not the swishing of the peanut butter jar, we microwave ours, or use chocolate bars to scrape the remains out. haa-haaa

Her said...

yeah! chocolate bars!

Michelle said...

Sounds yummy!!!