Monday, January 26, 2009

Great spinach recipe

We just tried this recipe the other night and it's WONDERFULLY GOOD!!!! Even Jared who notoriously despises anything that might even remotely resemble cooked spinach loved it and ate 3 very large helpings. I borrowed the recipe from Tammy's recipes and just adapted it a little bit to suit our tastes a bit more. I think next time I make it I might just add a little bit of grated carrot and some mushrooms if I happen to have them just for kicks.

Spinach rice and cheese casserole
8-10 ounces fresh spinach
1 T water
2 T chopped onion*
1 c cooked rice*
1 c shredded cheese*
1/3 c milk
2 eggs beaten
1 t salt*
1 T worchestershire sauce*

In a small bowl add water to spinach and cook in microwave or in a pan over med/lo heat just until wilted. Mix remaining ingredients together and add spinach, then pour into 8x8 baking dish and bake at 325 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until the center is set.

***** Here's what I did. I just used the original amount of spinach because that just happened to be what I had on hand, but then I tripled everything else and cooked it all at 350 in a 9x13 baking dish. I used about a half cup of onion because I learned a long time ago that onion will mask the "green food" taste of spinach quite well and that seems to help make it more palatable for those who don't care for the taste of spinach. I also used brown rice because someone so sweetly gave our family a bag of it and we just LOVE the flavor of brown rice, I'm sure white rice tastes wonderful too, but we wanted it with brown rice that day. I used cheddar cheese but after having this dish I would love to try it with some swiss cheese or even a really sharp cheddar or a mix of a few different cheese would probably be really good. I cut the amount of the worchestershire sauce to 1 teaspoon for the triple batch, but I should have also cut the amount of salt since the dish still tasted pretty salty but still good.

I hope you enjoy it.

No comments: